Creation and Purpose of SBAC:
The School Building Advisory Committee (SBAC) is a nine-member joint ad hoc advisory committee established by the Cape Elizabeth School Board and Town Council. Our primary role is to assist in developing a school building project that aligns with the Department of Education guidelines for major capital school construction projects and to propose this to the Town voters.
Our responsibilities include:
- Assessing previous school building referendum proposals.
- Advising the School Board and Town Council on a Building Plan and funding strategies.
- Developing the project concept for referendum purposes, including setting a budget and target referendum dollar range.
- Engaging in public outreach and recommending a target referendum date.
- Consulting with the School Board and Town Council on our work and recommendations.
- Final approval of any Building Plan, building design, construction decisions, and financial matters related to the bond will be made by the School Board and Town Council.
Scope of Our Work
We are tasked with:
- Selecting an Owner’s Representative for the project.
- Evaluating previous building needs assessments.
- Recommending a design team and developing a range of options for the Building Plan.
- Seeking public input and engaging a consultant for community surveys.
- Exploring funding options and making recommendations for the Building Plan.
The SBAC consists of co-chairs from the School Board and Town Council, two members each from these bodies, and five public members. Non-voting members include the Superintendent of Schools, the Town Manager, Facilities Manager, the school Business Manager, and town Finance Director. Other non-voting participants include the Owner’s Rep, school staff, and third-party consultants like Financial Advisors, Survey Firms, and Communications Specialists.
Public Involvement and Budget
We are committed to engaging the public through various channels like websites, social media, public meetings, and direct mail. The Town Manager, in consultation with the Superintendent, oversees the Committee’s budget, including costs for the Owner’s Rep, Design Team, and consultants.
We regularly update the School Board and Town Council on our progress and work towards a comprehensive Building Plan for Pond Cove Elementary, Cape Elizabeth Middle School, and Cape Elizabeth High School, considering all aspects from new construction to renovation.
Senior Project Manager
Construction project Manager
More info at: https://www.turnerandtownsend.com/
Architects – Harriman
principal in charge
More info at: https://www.harriman.com/
Superintendent of Cape Elizabeth Schools